One of my most PRECIOUS memories is waking up on Thanksgiving morning to the DELICIOUS smell of my grandmother’s CHICKEN & DRESSING baking in her oven.
Nanny had a wonderful GARDEN and she always used homegrown SAGE in her dressing. Still remember this morning in her garden.
There are SO MANY MEMORIES. Let me tell you. The wonderful smells, delicious tastes and of course the LOVE.
Now on to the wonderful menu item! There are a FEW STEPS in her recipe as there usually are in something so DELICIOUS. Here is how you make it. P.S. I ALWAYS MIX MINE UP THE DAY BEFORE I AM GOING TO COOK IT
STEP 1 – The day BEFORE you are going to mix up THE DRESSING cook a 13 by 9 inch pan of CORNBREAD. Use WHITE cornmeal. Follow the package directions but DOUBLE the recipe. Let dry out OVERNIGHT in your pantry.
STEP 2 – HARD boil 5 EGGS, FREE RANGE OF COURSE, and once done cool, peel and chop into small pieces.
STEP 3 – Boil a 5 pound PLUMP HEN
- Place in a large pot of cold water just covering the chicken.
- Place on MEDIUM high heat with the lid vented
- COOK for about an HOUR.
- Remove from pot and let cool.
- Then SHRED all the chicken.
STEP 4 – SAUTÉE 3 CUPS EACH of chopped sweet yellow onion AND chopped celery in ONE STICK of butter until tender. Then add 2 TABLESPOONS of RUBBED sage and cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl for use in future steps that follow.
STEP 5 – MIX up the following ingredients in a LARGE bowl:
- Crumble the cornbread you cooked yesterday
- Add one package of Pepperidge Farm HERB SEASONED CLASSIC STUFFING MIX
- Sprinkle LIBERALLY the top of the mixture with BRAGGS ORGANIC SPRINKLE
- Add the celery and onions
- Mix together
- Add 6 beaten eggs
- Add 4 of the chopped eggs
- Add 2 TABLESPOONS of salt
- Add the chicken stock from the cooked chicken pot plus enough ORGANIC chicken bone broth to make 9 cups of stock. Add it slowly, probably in three batches, and mix in. DO NOT OVER-MIX.
STEP 6 – Prepare in baking dish
- Spray a 13 by 9 inch clear glass pan with a butter spray
- Fill the pan about 1/3 full with dressing
- Cover the dressing with the shredded chicken, completely covering the dressing.
- Add final layer of dressing to cover the chicken.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350.
- Place in PRE-HEATED oven for about an hour and 15 minutes. WATCH IT and if the top seems to be getting too brown VERY LOOSELY put a piece of foil on top, just lay it on top.
DON’T FORGET AFTER STEP 4 ABOVE YOU CAN JUST PLACE IN FRIDGE AND BAKE NEXT DAY OR FREEZE FOR UP TO A MONTH, THAW AND BAKE!
STEP 7 – Make BROWN TURKEY GRAVY
- In sauce pan empty two 12 oz jars of good quality ROAST TURKEY GRAVY I use HEINZE Homestyle Roast Turkey Gravy
- Add one package of PIONEER BRAND ROASTED CHICKEN GRAVY dry mix plus 1 cup of cold water and mix together.
- Add two TABLESPOONS of KITCHEN BOUQUET BROWNING & SEASONING SAUCE. Mix together.
- Add one chopped boiled egg.
- Add 1/3 cup finely chopped chicken
- Cook until right consistency- not thick but not runny
- Put in serving dish or can be refrigerated and heated the next day
I hope you ENJOY this TREASURED recipe. If you have a family recipe you love be sure and DOCUMENT it so it is not lost! HAPPY THANKSGIVING 🍁🦃 🍂
SHARING some memories and the entire cooking process with you.